Quick LinksMonth 5 ‧ Dry Season ‧ Year 9Important Info
Welcome Guide
Calendar
Availability
Character Profile Form
Census
Faceclaim Directory
With the end of the rains comes added hardship for the people of Landing. Fish have all but vanished with the storms--and while the larder is still stocked, it won't last long. Tensions are high, even as the council does their best to keep the grim news quiet.

Welcome to The First Weyr, a canon Dragonriders of Pern RP set in the First Pass! Check out the links to the left and right to learn more.
Site Rules
Setting of the First Pass
Current Plot
Candidate Form
Candidacy and Hatching Info
Frequently Asked Questions

Add Reply
New Poll

a rustle of pages, Standalone / Enid
Enid Faulk
 Posted on: Feb 3 2018, 10:41 PM
Dragonriders
Goldrider
Falth | #D1B316
73 posts | 90 marks
written by North

[ 04.09 ]

Enid found that her mind was filled with Falth. Steadily, they had grown closer. Could finish each others' thoughts. Could sift through the fractal blackness of Falth's mind without feeling lost, anymore; could see the north star, as it were, in the telepathic emptiness. But she found that places in her own mind that had once been filled with facts and numbers, geology, books, were being usurped by the slick tendrils of Falth's consciousness.

She felt like there was only so much room in her head. Only so much memory. Despite, technically, there being two of them, now. Double the mind.

So Enid had started writing things down. More lists; more reminders. It just helped her keep a more tangible grasp on her headspace and not get totally lost in the all-encompassing world of having a dragon mentasynthetically bound to her.'

Part of the outflow of little notes became small inserts into the books she read and passed along to fellow riders or to the geologists back at the lab. Post-it note reviews. Feelings and thoughts. Something nice, she figured, about inserting a little human emotion into a little human book. Solidified her humanity, in a way, when faced up against so much alien. So much Falth.

Ubik, Philip K. Dick, 1969

I find this book frightening in a very comforting way. Absolutely terrifying. That little doubt about reality that everyone has, now and then. Not a feel-good read, but sometimes that's what you need. Right?

The Dispossessed, Ursula K. Le Guin, 1974

Beautiful character study of a man and his convictions. Cozy passages about love which, I think, is maybe how I feel about love. Also like the part with the horse. You'll know.

Eden, Tyrell Bakema, 2293

There's an audio recording of this one on the Landing database. The woman reading has a beautiful accent – from Beta Tauri VII, I think. Really adds something to it.

Persuasion, Jane Austen, 1817

Like reading chocolate, if you need a pick-me-up. (Especially if, like me, you keep reading all the Philip K. Dick paperbacks that dad brought from Earth. Thanks, dad.) Think about how long this book has been around. How far we've come, etc.

Solaris, Stanislaw Lem, 1961

I read this copy at the first dragon hatching, colony Year 8. About as fitting to that as can be. (Communicating with cosmic entities...) Maybe that makes it part of history. However long that is, for Pern.

user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Pernese Online A Gift of Dragons Distant Fantasies RPG-D RPG Initiative The Wastes: Equinox Weyr
Southern Winds Weyr