Quick LinksMonth 3 ‧ Spring ‧ Year 10Important Info
Calendar
Availability
Character Profile Form
Census
Faceclaim Directory
Archive My Thread
Adoptables
The eruption of Mount Garben has forced the people of Landing to evacuate north. Under a storm of ash and Thread, the colonists make the perilous journey to Fort Hold. The riders fulfill their duty at last, and a new era dawns for the Pernese--join the plot here.

Welcome to The First Weyr, a canon Dragonriders of Pern RP set in the First Pass! Check out the links to the left and right to learn more.
Welcome Guide
Site Rules
Setting of the First Pass
Current Plot
Candidate Form
Candidacy & Impression
Frequently Asked Questions

Add Reply
New Poll

Ouch!, [05.09] for Prongs/Audley
Clara Jones
 Posted on: Feb 13 2018, 12:34 PM
Dragonriders
Brownrider
Picath | #9D715D
67 posts | 0 marks
written by Otterly

Prongs

Clara leaned against Picath and limped heavily back to Landing. Picath walked slowly, his eyes shot through with red and orange, and Clara tried to soothe him even as her ankle throbbed painfully.

"It was only an accident, my darling," Clara assured him. "I know you didn't mean to bump into me." They had been practicing their exercises together, and Picath had gotten a little too enthusiastic. Clara had gone sprawling and rolled her ankle unpleasantly.

I should have been paying more attention, he said mournfully, turning his head to give Clara a soft nuzzle.

"I promise it's all right," Clara assured him.

Still, her ankle ached, and it was slow-going to get the the administration buildings where the clinics were. When they reached them, Clara paused, hesitating. Picath was too big now to go inside, and she didn't think she'd be able to make it on her own. She didn't exactly want to be waiting for someone to come along and let her in, though.

We could knock on the door, Picath said. He could get close enough for that, and then someone would surely come to them, although he did not want to wait outside while she was looked at.

"All right. Lead the way, then," Clara said, nodding. She leaned on him the last few feet to the door, and then knocked, hoping that perhaps the receptionist or one of the medics would be able to give them a hand.

I really am sorry, Picath said one last time, and Clara shook her head.

"It'll be fine."

user posted image
by Crowfeet
PM
^
Audley Villemaire
 Posted on: Feb 13 2018, 04:22 PM
Dragonriders
|
83 posts | 635 marks
written by Prongs

otterly

It had been a relatively slow day. A nice, calm, slow day in which the residents of Landing had seemed to take a small break from getting themselves hurt. Audley had been enjoying the peace and using the time to go over some of her paperwork. After three years of learning there were a lot of things she was trusted to look after and treat on her own, but that didn't mean she got to stop learning.

She had just put down her notes and was rubbing her eyes when a knock sounded on the door. At the moment she was the only one not occupied in something a bit more serious, so Audley got up and answered it. With the way the day was going it was probably a little kid who'd fallen and scraped their knee. Something simple.

Needless to say when she opened the door and saw a distressed brown and his rider in front of her, she was a bit surprised. "Clara," she blurted, blinking and then immediately looking down. Saying the rider's name like that when Clara probably had no clue who she was was kind of embarrassing, and Audley could feel her face going red over it.

But Clara was hurt somehow, and was leaning rather heavily on her brown. Audley's training kicked in and she stepped forward, wrapping Clara's free arm around her shoulders. "Which leg did you hurt? You can let go of your dragon now, I've got you," she murmured.
PMEmail
^
Clara Jones
 Posted on: Feb 14 2018, 07:08 PM
Dragonriders
Brownrider
Picath | #9D715D
67 posts | 0 marks
written by Otterly

Prongs

Clara blinked in surprise. It was still a bit disconcerting, when other people recognized her, but she understood why they did. She had Picath, after all--and that was noteworthy. "Yes, Clara," she said belatedly, offering Audley a smile.

"My right ankle," she continued, nodding down at her foot. "Picath and I--we were exercising, and I only fell." That was the easiest explanation, she thought, as she gladly leaned against Audley. "Didn't want to wait for someone to come along, so Picath helped me walk back."

Picath let out a low groan, lowering his head contritely. Clara reached back to pat him gently. "He's worried for me," she added, a slight furrow between her brow. "I know he can't come in with us now, but can he wait here? He won't be in the way." Clara did wish Picath could come in with her, but with his long tail and his wings--

Picath sighed again. I won't go anywhere without you, Clara, he assured her fervently.

Then, though he did not like to speak to people he did not know, he spoke haltingly to Audley. Will she be all right? His eyes were shot through with worried orange, and he leaned forward to nudge Clara gently.

user posted image
by Crowfeet
PM
^
Audley Villemaire
 Posted on: Feb 18 2018, 08:44 AM
Dragonriders
|
83 posts | 635 marks
written by Prongs

otterly

Clara blinked, and it struck Audley that perhaps knowing someone's name when they didn't know you was weird. "I'm Audley," she blurted, trying to rectify her mistake. Which was probably also weird because now she sounded too eager and -

She could feel her face turning red but did her best to ignore it as she helped the dragonrider into the infirmary. As soon as the talk turned to medical things Audley relaxed. This was what she was good at, what she was comfortable. "You did the right thing," she said. Now she sounded calm and soothing instead of surprised or awkward. There was certainly something to be said about being in your comfort zone.

"Oh." Audley blinked and paused, turning to look at Picath. "Of course. Here," she said, bracing Clara against the wall for a moment. "Balance on your good leg - don't put any weight on your right for a second." There had been.... ah, yes, there it was. She scooped up a small wooden doorstop and pushed the infirmary door open, wedging the stop under it so that it stayed open.

There was something in her head. Or someone, rather. Audley looked at Picath in surprise and then smiled, a warm, gentle thing made of reassurance. "She'll be fine," she assured him.

"He'll be able to see you from here, so he can see everything that happens," she told both Clara and Picath. Then she wrapped Clara's arm around her shoulders and her own arm around Clara's waist and helped the woman over to one of the examination tables. "I've got you braced - can you step up here and sit down?" she asked, gesturing to the small stool that would give the rider a leg up to the table.
PMEmail
^
Clara Jones
 Posted on: Feb 24 2018, 10:37 PM
Dragonriders
Brownrider
Picath | #9D715D
67 posts | 0 marks
written by Otterly

Prongs

She could tell that Audley felt awkward, and Clara didn't want that. She smiled again. "It's good to meet you," Clara said earnestly. "And not only because you're here to help with this." She nodded down at her achy ankle, feeling a little sheepish about how it occurred. "You're a candidate right? We try to keep up with who's joined the program. Picath especially likes to."

Carefully, she leaned against the wall as Audely searched for the doorstop. When it was found, she grinned in relief. "He'll be grateful to watch," Clara assured her. "Thank you for that."

Picath rumbled lowly in agreement, and though he did not speak again he pressed forward and gently pressed his nose against Audley's shoulder, a soft thanks of his own.

Then he settled himself down like the Sphinx of old Earth, his wings folded neatly against his spotty back. He wished that he could come inside with Clara, but even he knew that he had outgrown that.

Don't worry, Clara said again, her face briefly far away as she spoke to him. Audley promised you'll be able to see.

She turned her attention back to Audley and leaned carefully against her as she was guided into the infirmary. "I think it's only a bad twist, or maybe a sprain," Clara confessed. "But I don't want to risk it being broken, or anything." She paused, and admitted, "And it really does hurt. I think our exercising is done for today."

Biting her lip and bracing herself on Audley, she swung herself up onto the examination table, legs hanging down. "Should I lay my leg on the table too?"

user posted image
by Crowfeet
PM
^
Audley Villemaire
 Posted on: Mar 1 2018, 08:01 PM
Dragonriders
|
83 posts | 635 marks
written by Prongs

otterly

Audley would have answered Clara, would have used actual words to brush off the gratefulness she felt from both rider and dragon. It was nothing, after all - keeping Picath calm was good for all of them, and she knew if she were attached to someone like a dragon was attached to their rider she would have been worried too.

Yes, she planned to use words, but then Picath pressed his nose to her shoulder and those words fled. For a moment she forgot her professionalism as she looked at the brown and then, with a great deal of hesitance, gently touched his nose in response before he pulled away.

Now was not the time to be awed over the fact that a dragon had acknowledged her, had touched her. Now was the time to treat Clara. Once the brownrider was up on the table Audley gently took hold of her ankle. She could feel the swelling through Clara's boot, which didn't bode well in her mind. Taking the boot off could increase the amount of swelling on Clara's ankle - the compression of the boot was helping currently - but there was nothing for it.

"You're going to be here for a while," she said softly. A quiet confidence infiltrated Audley's voice as she worked to get Clara's boot unlaced. "I need to go get some ice and some bandages. Do me a favor and lay flat on the table, ok? I'll be right back." And with that Audley bustled off, her hesitance and shyness melting away as she fell into the routine of her job.
PMEmail
^
Clara Jones
 Posted on: Mar 6 2018, 07:34 PM
Dragonriders
Brownrider
Picath | #9D715D
67 posts | 0 marks
written by Otterly

Prongs

Clara grimaced, but she knew that there was nothing she could do about it. Audley knew better than she did, anyhow--all Clara knew was that she couldn't put pressure on her foot at all.

"I'll do anything necessary to heal properly," she said quietly. She knew better than to argue, even if spending the rest of her day in the infirmary was the last thing that she wanted to do.

Clara nodded and carefully settled back on the table. Her ankle throbbed as she stretched her legs out across it. Ice and bandages--that wasn't so bad. Hopefully it was only a sprain, or a bad twist. Clara didn't really know what she would do if it turned out she'd broken a bone.

She sighed softly, her hands clasped over her belly as she waited for Audley to return. She let her expression go slightly unfocused as she turned her mind back to Picath, still waiting patiently for her outside. He brushed her mind against hers, and Clara wished that he could fit inside with her. She wanted him badly.

Still, she managed a smile for Audley upon her return. "Will I lose the boot? I'm not exactly sure how we'll get my foot out of there without cutting it," she sighed. It would be a pain--these were good boots, well-worn and comfortable, and she didn't want to have to break in a new pair.

user posted image
by Crowfeet
PM
^
Audley Villemaire
 Posted on: Mar 11 2018, 02:24 PM
Dragonriders
|
83 posts | 635 marks
written by Prongs

otterly

Audley returned a minute later with an armload of things. Most of those were set down on a small table next to the bed Clara was currently occupying. The one item she kept ahold of was an almost paper-thin ice pack, which she slipped into a cloth sleeve that was no thicker. "If this works, we won't have to cut the boot off," she said with a quiet smile.

The medic gently lifted Clara's foot and inspected her ankle. It looked like the appendage was extremely swollen, no doubt, but there was the tiniest bit of wiggle room between Clara's skin and her boot. Perfect.

She picked up the thin ice pack and wrapped it delicately around Clara's leg, then eased it ever so carefully into her boot. "The cloth sleeve won't do much to protect your skin from the ice," she said apologetically, "but it'll help a little bit. We'll leave that there for just a few and see if it takes the swelling down enough to get the boot off."

True to her word she checked again in about five minutes, and the swelling had gone down quite a bit. That was a good sign. "This is probably going to hurt," she warned, looking at Clara carefully. Hurting a dragonrider didn't seem like the smartest thing to do, but it was the only thing to do. "I'm sorry for that. But we'll save your boot."

Getting Clara's boot off wasn't the easiest task, but it was managed. Before the brownrider's ankle could swell up again Audley wrapped it in cloth and ice packs, securing the whole contraption with a few bandage clips. Then she fixed Clara with a gentle but firm stare. "What exercises were you doing when you injured yourself?"
PMEmail
^
Clara Jones
 Posted on: Mar 11 2018, 08:51 PM
Dragonriders
Brownrider
Picath | #9D715D
67 posts | 0 marks
written by Otterly

Prongs

Clara winced, and she tried not to tense or make the process hurt more than it needed to. She thought of how much better it would feel once it was properly bound and iced. Still, she couldn't help groaning as Audley worked. "At least I'll get to keep the boot," she panted, sending Audrey a grin that was genuine, if a bit pained.

She reminded herself that it could be worse, and then sighed as she felt the comforting press of Picath's mind against hers. He was still with her, even if he wasn't in the room, watching her. Clara leaned into his mind, and when she tilted her head to smile again at Audley.

"This is much better," she said, once the boot was finally off. She resisted the urge to try and flex it, and instead held herself carefully still.

Clara almost missed it when Audrey began speaking again. It took a moment to register the question, and when it did, Clara's expression turned sheepish. "Um, well. Probably the better question is what exercises Picath was doing," she admitted with an embarrassed laugh. She lifted a hand shove tendrils of her hair back.

"He was practicing his wing stretches, and he got a little, ah, enthusiastic, if you know what I mean. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time is all. But he's very strong, and I sort of went flying myself. Not the fun sort of flying, really."

user posted image
by Crowfeet
PM
^
Audley Villemaire
 Posted on: Mar 21 2018, 09:00 PM
Dragonriders
|
83 posts | 635 marks
written by Prongs

otterly

Audley was appreciative that Clara seemed to be so good at holding herself still. If the brownrider had flexed her foot she would have learned that Audley had it in her to be at least a little sharp! "Wing exercises," she said mildly. Clara's foot was given another cursory once-over and then the young medic shook her head. "Did you roll your ankle when you stood up? Or did you land funny and twist it beneath you?"

You didn't sprain your ankle from being tossed in the air, after all. "If it was Picath exercising and not you then I don't see why you couldn't resume your exercises today," she said, fiddling just a tiny bit with the ice pack and bandage bundle she'd attached to Clara's ankle. They couldn't leave it on for too long - this kind of icing had to be done in stages.

"Provided that you have a chair to sit in so you're not putting weight on this ankle. A chair that is well out of reach of Picath's wings," she added, raising her voice slightly so the brown could hear her too. "And Picath is to be careful with his movements, hm? I'm going to give you crutches when we're done here so you can move about."

Audley smiled then, a surprisingly light and sweet expression. "But we're not done here yet. We need to get the swelling down still, so you'll be here for quite a while." She glanced up at the clock and then settled herself into the chair next to the bed. "You have ten more minutes until I have to take this first round of ice off. Why don't you tell me about Picath?"
PMEmail
^
Clara Jones
 Posted on: Apr 8 2018, 02:36 PM
Dragonriders
Brownrider
Picath | #9D715D
67 posts | 0 marks
written by Otterly

Prongs

Clara looked a little embarrassed. "I landed funny," she said with a sigh. "He knocked me off my feet and I couldn't get my balance before I fell." It was the silliest way to be injured, it felt like. She hadn't even been doing anything! If she'd been paying closer attention, then maybe she would have avoided the pain.

"I think I could find a chair somewhere," she said after a moment, a hint of a smile appearing. "Maybe I'll sit on one of the benches outside the barracks, and he can stand further off so I could watch him." She didn't want him to hurt himself either.

Audley smiled then, and Clara couldn't help the way hers grew. It pleased her that Audley was interested in knowing more about Picath, and he was one of Clara's favorite subjects to talk about. It certainly took her mind off of the way she'd be stuck here till the swelling in her ankle went down--and she hoped Picath made himself comfortable outside the clinic. They'd be waiting a bit.

"Picath is wonderful," Clara said. "I hadn't--well, I went to speak to his egg because none of the golds felt right. At the viewing, I mean. And then he talked to me, and it felt as if he had just slotted perfectly against my mind. But I didn't expect him to come to me at the hatching, and then he did."

She beamed at Audley as she remembered the hatching. "He's always laughing, always joyful. And he likes it when I read to him. Sometimes we'll sit out in the sun, and I'll read while he dozes. He likes to imagine how the stories go."

user posted image
by Crowfeet
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Pernese Online A Gift of Dragons RPG-D
Southern Winds Weyr Fortune Favors the Brave