Quick LinksMonth 1 ‧ Rainy Season ‧ Year 10Important Info
Calendar
Availability
Character Profile Form
Census
Faceclaim Directory
Archive My Thread
Adoptables
The latest dragon clutch has hatched successfully. Yet for the time being, the focus seems to have slid off the dragons. There's been a spike in volcanic activity around Landing, and for once, it's not Thread the colonists are worried about.

Welcome to The First Weyr, a canon Dragonriders of Pern RP set in the First Pass! Check out the links to the left and right to learn more.
Welcome Guide
Site Rules
Setting of the First Pass
Current Plot
Candidate Form
Candidacy & Impression
Frequently Asked Questions

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Soaring Skyward, [05.09] Story Event - Open to Everyone!
Jabry Kouri
 Posted on: Feb 13 2018, 08:16 PM
Dragonriders
Bronze Rider
Baliuth | #c2b48d
60 posts | 40 marks
written by RedShoesWrites

Jabry and Baliuth quietly joined he gathering crowd.

Jabry had just been finishing up a late lunch at one of the main dinning halls when Baliuth had drawn him out of the building to watch as Chioneth had flown with Eleanor just barely visible upon her back. It had also been Baliuth that had seen the governor and Wind Blossom frantically making their way towards the area that Chioneth had landed. Foolish, Baliuth had whispered grumpily to Jabry as the governor and Wind Blossom had stormed past. If they had gone further out, we might have been able to fly, too.

Now after having trekked all the way out of Landing, they stood slightly behind and to the side of the leadership duo and winced at Wind Blossom’s harsh words. Surely those that had flown hadn’t been in that much immediate danger, had they?

As Governor Tolbert continued to speak, Jabry couldn’t help but look at Eleanor with some sympathy. He gave, what he hoped, was an encouraging smile and a thumbs up before glancing to his side at Baliuth. ’Tell Chioneth that we want to hear all about her flying once this is done!’ Jabry whispered across their link.

otterly
PMEmail
^
Sean O'Rinn
 Posted on: Feb 13 2018, 08:59 PM
Dragonriders
Dragonrider/Physician
Mezuth | #8b6839
34 posts | 985 marks
written by Surinen/Celeanor

We're late.

Pausing between grimly washing his hands and arms of blood from the emergency surgery he'd been assisting with, Sean O'Rinn looked up - then out. Mezuth, now considerably bigger than Sean's riding horse and equally as opinionated, lounged in the sun outside the medical facility. The bronze had picked his head up, gazing off into the distance at something unseen to Sean's simple human sight.

For what? I didn't realize we had something scheduled? The young doctor inquired, finishing up his wash and drying his hands. The sled mechanic would survive her altercation with the wrong end of a sled propulsion system, thank be to all the lucky stars they'd been invoking since she was rolled in. He could leave, if necessary, but his work with Mezuth had a rather strict time table ... one he adhered to. Mostly. Today was supposed to be an off day, so he'd made himself available to his former department.

It appears to be unplanned, but now planned. Which makes us late. We should go.

There has got to be more to it than that. Sean replied, sliding out of the medical apron he'd borrowed and back into the work shirt he'd left in the med staff locker.

There is. It isn't important, however. Come, you will see soon enough.

Detecting the subtle hint of jealousy underlying his dragon's message, Sean didn't hesitate to press further; though he did make sure to leave word with his former supervisor that he'd been summoned. Sort of.

What is it Mezuth, spill it.

There is nothing to spill. The bronze retorted, an image of Chioneth coming to mind.

What did Chioneth spill. Do. What did she do?

Something ... interesting.

Exiting the building, Sean strode up to his bronze and planted his feet squarely, then crossed his arms. "Spill it."

I told you there is no spill. Flexing his wings, the bronze's eyes whirled orange, then green - excitement flickering blue sparks of light across the green. She flew, with her rider. Then the bronze sobered. So did others. And important people noticed. Many are there now, except us. We're late.

Gathering that Mezuth was irritated about being left in the dark about something clearly marvelous, Sean stopped pressing and simply pat the muscled shoulder. "We're going, which way?" He asked, grinning when the still-youthful bronze bounded to his feet and took off at a jog towards his distant clutchmates.

Arriving with a light sheen of sweat after needing to run in order to keep up with his dragon, Sean made a point of slowing down once he saw how many dragons, their bondmates, and Colony leadership were present. Mezuth did no such thing, trotting purposefully up to his fellow dragons with Questions. Surely they had Answers?

Chioneth! Hirith! Harth! Belatedly, he realized that he might be interrupting something, so he paused, glancing around. Was it fun? He asked, almost shyly as an aside.

Sean, meanwhile, made a point of being as unobtrusive as he could manage. He did twitch at the impression that -all- of the dragons' bondmates were children, but given what he'd figured out from the idle chatter around him and the mental noise from Mezuth, the future reprimands were probably warranted. Still, they all rose and sunk together, so he definitely wasn't going to apologize for joining the spectacle.

____

Tag: People. All the people!
PM
^
Seung-min Park
 Posted on: Feb 13 2018, 09:50 PM
Dragonriders
Dragonrider
Podarth | #C57039
9 posts | 70 marks
written by Calico

We missed it!

Podarth’s dejected wail struck a dissonant chord in Seung-min’s mind, rattling his senses just as he was starting to get his feet under him. The air outside the Caves was dry, but it did little to stop the rivulets of water that cascaded down the man’s forehead and into his eyes. The shoulders of his sweater were damp with moisture, but the rider pushed away the discomfort, darting away with his bronze on his heels down the stretch of land.

He hadn’t known what to expect when he got there, but if Podarth’s reaction was anything to go off of it was something good. Sure, the disapproving faces of the Captain and Dr. Ping might have been enough to curdle milk, but a few minutes spent listening in had a smile reaching across Seung-min’s face.

While he, as a teacher, would have championed the use of a more safe, controlled environment for their first flights, he, as a bondmate, couldn’t deny his excitement that the task of partnered flight had finally been achieved.

Looping an arm around Podarth’s ever-growing head, Seung-min pressed his forehead to his Bronze’s muzzle, earning him and excited cheep. We’ve finally made it Podarth! We can fly together now!

Pulling away, Seing-min cast a critical eye to his Bronze. His strong shoulders, powerful hindquarters, almost trim conformation… yes, he could see it now! Not as bulky as his larger brothers, graceful almost, like some of the queens. We’re going to be great Podarth, I just know it. Go ask the others what it was like!

Eyes swirling a clear, excited blue-green, the copper kettle bronze swung his wedge shaped head towards his brothers and sisters. How did it feel? Podarth asked, wonder clouding his mind-voice as he brushed his mind against his brave siblings. I can’t wait until I fly with Seung-min!

user posted image
Image by Crowfeet <3
PM
^
Ilya Kuznetsov
 Posted on: Feb 13 2018, 10:07 PM
Dragonriders
Bronzerider
Harth | #d05c28
110 posts | 1030 marks
written by crowfeet

He did his best not to quail under Captain Juel’s stark gaze, even if part of him railed against how she was so quick to order them about—but he understood, at least, the need for order. They needed to be organized and mature about this.

He began to answer Clara’s question with a slightly nervous laugh. “Er, no—I guess I could get one of these guys to fetch one. Psst! Ginger, to me!”

The bronze firelizard flittered obediently onto his wrist. Carefully, he started to bring to mind the image of a green notebook on his desk.

“It was—well, it was amazing,” Ilya admitted in hushed tones. “Never felt anything like it, I—"

And then everything went into chaos very quickly, and Ilya involuntarily shut his mouth with a wide-eyed stare.

It seemed a lot of pent up frustration was venting itself out. Throughout the whole time he kept hold of Eleanor’s hand—unconsciously holding on for comfort—and he watched, tensely, as some obeyed Karine’s orders. And then as some didn’t. He shot a wide-eyed look at Ellie and Lily when Danica took off. He’d never known her to do that; she’d always seemed a quieter type to him. He watched with a bit of envy as she soared about briefly—using the scarf as a strap was smart, he thought—and then swallowed as she returned.

If it were him, he wouldn’t have got down from his dragon after that—not with Captain Juel staring them down. And then there were more voices, more faces—and he saw the Governor approach.

Ilya couldn’t bring himself to let go of Ellie. There was little he could do, but he felt that this, somehow, somehow he had to be responsible for this—with his own stupid, childish decisions, as Wind Blossom pointed out. Poor Eleanor surely hadn’t wanted all this chaos. She must be disappointed in him, too.

Here he was, barely able to squeak out a word through all of this. What kind of dragonrider was he? He took a shuddering breath, and tried to keep calm, even as the Governor approached. Harth suffused him with warm, comforting thoughts, and as if trying to diffuse the tension, he settled down onto the ground—looking as quiet as an overlarge cat.

“You okay, Ellie?” he whispered to her. He gave Ellie’s hand a soft squeeze. “I’m here.”

She had Chioneth, as always, but he would stay by her side as long as she needed.

otterly

Surinen, Calico

Harth, for his part, had the other dragons to draw his attention away. He greeted each of his kind with a warm, wordless grunt, sending feelings of friendliness to them. Upon hearing Mezuth’s words, and then Podarth’s, he turned his thoughts towards the fellow bronzes with a warm, throaty hum.

It was the best, Harth answered in his deep, powerful voice. You and your riders must try it too, soon. Let me show you—

He offered memories of the rush of the wind against his skin, Ilya’s small frame perched on his back, the exhilaration shared by both rider and dragon—he showed this to both bronzes, hoping it would sate their curiosity.

But perhaps—

He lowered his head, looking sheepish, and cast a knowing glance at the Captain and at the Governor.

Perhaps, er, you should wait. The humans seem upset for some reason. I did not mean to cause trouble. But when we can, we must all fly together.

user posted image
PM
^
Ariel Flanagan
 Posted on: Feb 13 2018, 10:25 PM
Dragonriders
Goldrider
Valath | #d9a642
70 posts | 690 marks
written by crowfeet

Ari grinned back and laughed.

“I figured as much!” she answered Eleanor; she didn’t mind either way, but she definitely didn’t want Eleanor to fall off her dragon because of her. The smile was wiped off her face, though, at Captain Juel’s stern words.

Thinking quickly, she looked back at Darin. Beiarth seemed perfectly unconcerned—which, she supposed, meant he was fine. And then she turned ‘round to see a Samuel, his expression nearly matching hers. Carefully, she stretched out a hand to let the bronzerider get to his feet if he needed it.

“It did look pretty incredible,” Ari admitted quietly after a moment. “If, well, dangerous.”

She looked between them, and then to the growing scene to her left. She stared in shock, for a moment, as Dani disobeyed a direct order from Karine.

She’s got guts. Damn, Ari mused privately. Valath snorted in the back of her mind. No, we are not going flying without a saddle. I enjoy having a functional spine, thank you.

“Well, that worked out well,” she mumbled sarcastically—quiet enough that only Samuel and Darin would hear her. “You should scoot out while you can, Samuel. Save yourself some trouble.”

North, Ecksdee

user posted image
PM
^
Eleanor Winters
 Posted on: Feb 26 2018, 04:28 PM
Dragonriders
Goldrider
Chioneth | #f9ba3a
131 posts | 85 marks
written by Otterly

crowfeet

Eleanor offered Ilya a smile. "Don't worry about me," she whispered to him. "It's fine." Captain Juel wasn't going to punish them it seemed, and for that Eleanor was glad. Of course, then she saw Silvia arriving, Wind Blossom stalking beside her, and straightened her shoulders. The governor was probably more of a worry than Captain Juel.

But no--

Governor Tolbert was smiling. Was pleased even if Ellie had done this without permission, or even without really thinking all that much about it. Eleanor beamed.

"It was just--Chioneth knew, better than I could," she said. And there surely was something for that. Chioneth knew her own strength and her body, and she knew she was meant to fly. She had known that from the very beginning, way back when she was still just a brightly golden egg.

"I know I should have been more responsible," she added, mostly for Wind Blossom's benefit. "But I trust Chioneth, and she turned out to be right. Though we still need straps." She knew it wouldn't be safe to fly Thread without them. There'd be too much twisting and turning.

She was so focused on the governor that she didn't even notice Danica's defiance till she was landing again. Chioneth, however, had been watching all of the dragons fly with growing delight.

Calico, Surinen

Oh, it is most wonderful, Podarth, Mezuth, she said to them cheerfully, shifting from foot to foot like an excited horse. The sun and the sky! We are made for them!

She turned her sparkling eyes upon the bronzes. We must fly together someday very soon, she told them earnestly. I know that it will be the most fun when we all get to feel the wind beneath our wings.

And Chioneth very much wanted to fly with them, to be chased and never caught. She craned her neck and peered up at the sky. Soon, we'll finally do what we were made for.

user posted image
By Crowfeet
PM
^
Silvia Tolbert
 Posted on: Feb 28 2018, 12:16 AM
Colonists
Governor
|
32 posts | 290 marks
written by crowfeet

Silvia nodded with a warm smile—turning at once to Wind Blossom after hearing Ellie’s words.

“You see, Dr. Ping? The dragons know their own strength,” Silvia laughed. Wind Blossom did not seem amused, but Silvia ignored that for the moment. “It seems a meeting is in order with the Heads of Veterinary Medicine and Biology. And, perhaps, we’ll have to see if we can get any of our leatherworkers on the case…”

“Well done, everyone,” Silvia announced, turning to look at each of the dragonriders present. She looked to Danica with a smile, and understood the woman’s meaning. It surprised her to see Danica act so defiant—but it made it even clearer to Silvia that the dragonriders could only be led by one of their own.

“It seems there is much about the dragons that only a dragonrider could know or understand,” Silvia voiced aloud. “You serve the colony as anyone else does, but it seems to me that you will need a leader of your own kind. The next council meeting is in two weeks. We’ll have much to discuss then.”

“For now, though, I think this deserves some celebration—”

Wind Blossom coughed loudly.

“Might I request that there be no more flying until the dragons can be evaluated by the veterinarians,” Wind Blossom said in an icy voice. Silvia winced.

“Yes, alright. Let’s give the dragons a rest until then. But I hope to see you all at the bonfire tonight. Especially you, Miss Winters. And the others among you who have flown—Miss O’Connor, Mr. Frasier, and Mr. Kuznetsov. I’m sure that the colony will much want to hear from the horse’s—er, the dragon’s mouth!”

She beamed at each and every rider present. And with that, Silvia moved away.

Tag: Everyone, esp. otterly, Fox, and Ecksdee

That’s all from Silvia, unless someone wants to talk at her more. I leave it to Otter to determine the direction the thread should take next, or if she wants to wrap it up.
PM
^
Darin Frazier
 Posted on: Mar 1 2018, 07:33 PM
Dragonriders
Beiarth | #5d5532
10 posts | 130 marks
written by Ecksdee

Darin was pretty sure he wasn't too hurt, but he was quite clearly dazed. That nose-dive nearly gave him a heart attack, and he was sure to give Beiarth a stern talking-to when they got back to the Catherine Caves. The bronze relished in the attention of his brothers and sisters, wagging his tail like some overexcited dog. Oh Peleth, you should've! It was rockin'! D'rinmine doesn't like the last trick I did, but I can't wait to do more tricks! He revealed to his gold sister. Someday, I'll get to do even cooler stuff! Like flips! Doesn't that sound fun?

Darin groaned. No, that was the opposite of what he wanted. Sometimes, he swore his bronze was unintentionally trying to kill him. As he tried to recollect himself, someone ran to his side. Ariel Flanagan. Right, he remembered her. One of the goldriders, right. Darin blinked a couple times. "Hmm? Oh, err, yeah, I'm okay. I guess." He forced out. In actuality, he was quite not okay. It wasn't like he was one of those brave sled pilots who faced this kind of thing every couple days or so. He wasn't used to flight. Darin couldn't help but grin when Sam came over. "Incredible? Maybe that's a stretch. It's not like I was the first to do it."

Beiarth mentally frowned. You always put yourself down, Mine. Why not bring yourself up for a change?

'Beiarth, please.' He sat up, though he stayed on the ground. And then it came, Captain Juel's onslaught. He felt horrible. Shame and embarrassment stabbed into him with her words. It was his nature to obey and to not strike out and show off, so doing just that made him feel ashamed. The girl, Ariel, was ordered to help him to his feet, and he took the help gratefully; he still felt a little wobbly. Then, people came; not many people, like he initially feared. It wasn't the horde that the captain sternly warned them about. The word failure rubbed him the wrong way, even if he wouldn't say anything. How had they failed? Weren't their first manned flights a part of growing big and strong? If they waited, wouldn't their dragons be less prepared?

Then the governor appeared. The governor. Darin swallowed, expecting the same disappointment that radiated from Juel and the newly-arrived Dr. Ping. But, M.s Tolbert seemed...pleased? Eleanor described her experience flying, stating that the dragons new better. Or something along those lines. Darin frowned. Maybe that was true with her Chioneth, but not with his Beiarth. The bronze totally didn't notice that thought, instead sharing his opinion with Podarth. Harth totally nailed it. It was the best! We should all totally do it again. And do tricks!

The mention of his last name brought Darin's attention back from his dragon. Why did she want to see him especi-oh. Right, he was one of the first to fly. That was a weird thought. Out of all of them, only four of them flew. One of them was him. Beiarth's mood was killed a little by them not being allowed to fly any more, and he nagged at Darin's mind. Aww! But I wanna fly more! It was so fun!

'They're right. You need to rest.'

But I don't need rest! I'm totally energized.

Darin sighed, then rubbed his face. Jesus christ on a buttery breadstick, that was a wild ride.

user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Pernese Online A Gift of Dragons RPG-D
Southern Winds Weyr Fortune Favors the Brave