Quick LinksMonth 3 ‧ Spring ‧ Year 10Important Info
Calendar
Availability
Character Profile Form
Census
Faceclaim Directory
Archive My Thread
Adoptables
The eruption of Mount Garben has forced the people of Landing to evacuate north. Under a storm of ash and Thread, the colonists make the perilous journey to Fort Hold. The riders fulfill their duty at last, and a new era dawns for the Pernese--join the plot here.

Welcome to The First Weyr, a canon Dragonriders of Pern RP set in the First Pass! Check out the links to the left and right to learn more.
Welcome Guide
Site Rules
Setting of the First Pass
Current Plot
Candidate Form
Candidacy & Impression
Frequently Asked Questions

Add Reply
New Poll

Reflections, Open [06.09]
Lucia Drake
 Posted on: Feb 27 2018, 11:21 AM
Candidates
Sled Pilot
|
10 posts | 115 marks
written by Ice

It was an understatement to say that Lucy was very busy these days. Whenever Thread fell, she was in her sled, fighting to ensure that it wouldn't reach the ground. Even though she loved being a pilot, it was a stressful task that drained a lot out of her. So now that she had found some free time, Lucy decided to take a break and go down to the riverbank to relax.

Jade had been thrilled with the prospect, of course. As soon as they had arrived, the green firelizard took off to lay on a rock next to the shore to sunbathe. Lucy decided to sit down next to her, knowing the green could be really timid. It was better to stay close.

Despite the river being low because of the dry season, the water did cool down the air. It was a refreshing respite. A tired sigh escaped her lips as she sat cross-legged on the rocky dirt, not caring that her jeans were now dirtied. Lucy leaned forward, resting her elbows on her thighs. She could sense Jade's peace and contentment as she was warmed by the sun.

Today was a good day to relax, just the two of them. But part of Lucy did wish she had someone to talk to.
PM
^
Jana Chapman
 Posted on: Mar 12 2018, 09:34 AM
Dragonriders
Potter
|
30 posts | 265 marks
written by Wolf

With the river low, it was the perfect time to dig clay. Or so her uncle said. Jana was pretty sure he just wanted a reason to force her to get out of the workshop. He and her aunt had been insinuating - admittedly gently - over the past few weeks that Jana really needed to get out more, to be more social.

Jana wasn't convinced about the 'be more social' part. The idea of having to deal with people mouthing empty words about how sorry they were for her loss was more mental effort than she really wanted to deal with. Worse were the pitying looks, especially from older colonists that practically shouted "Oh look at that poor orphaned girl." It made her angry and wanting to lash out. Far better to just stay at home in the workshop churning out the endless plates and bowls and cups the colony required. At least then she could feel useful.

But pottery required clay, and she had to admit their stock was running low. So she'd helped Uncle Julian load an empty barrel into a wagon and she'd set off for the riverbank with a shovel over her shoulder, pulling the wagon behind her. Now the barrel was three quarters full, and Jana had to reluctantly admit she was in a better mood than she'd been in a while. Her arms and shoulders were starting to hurt, so she figured it might be a good time for a break. The wagon was safe enough where it was, so she climbed up onto the bank and walked downstream a bit, looking for a good place to sit for a bit.

She hadn't expected to find anyone else, but it was a nice day, so she supposed she shouldn't have been surprised to see someone else relaxing on the riverbank. Not sure she wanted to talk to people, Jana was about to turn and go back upstream when Splash launched himself off her shoulder and flew over to Lucia and circled around her, making a series of happy trills.

"Hey there," Jana said, raising a hand in greeting. "Sorry 'bout my 'lizard."

Ice
PM
^
Lucia Drake
 Posted on: Mar 14 2018, 02:44 PM
Candidates
Sled Pilot
|
10 posts | 115 marks
written by Ice

Within moments, Jade had dozed off. The little green had curled up into a ball like a cat, warmed by the sun, and was out. Lucy watched her for a few moments, before leaning back, keeping herself propped up by her hands. Her gaze returned to the river, watching the water trickle over the rocks. This was, perhaps, the most peaceful moment she had had in a while. And boy, did she need it. In a few days, she'd be back in her sled, fighting Thread. She quickly pushed those thoughts out of her mind.

She would not ruin this moment by getting all broody.

But the quiet would soon be interrupted by a blue firelizard. Jade jolted awake, taking to the air as the little blue circled her bonded, chirping happily. The green shied away, darting to hide behind Lucy's back, latching onto her shirt. She fought the urge to roll her eyes, glancing up to see a young girl, who the blue firelizard must've belonged to.

"Oh, hey!" Lucy greeted, flashing a cheerful smile and giving a short wave. "Don't worry 'bout it, I don't mind!"

She glanced back over her shoulder. "Y'don't have to hide, y'know. They're not gonna bite. You can at least say hi, too."

Jade timidly peeked out from behind Lucy's shoulder. But finally, she crawled back up onto her usual perch, and let out a shy cheep at the other firelizard. Lucy laughed softly, covering her mouth with her fist. Sometimes, she really wondered how her firelizard ended up being the complete opposite of her.

"Hey, why don't you take a seat? You look like you could use some relaxation," Lucy said, returning her attention to the girl, gesturing to open space next to her. "I'm Lucy, by the way, and this is Jade."

Wolf
PM
^
Jana Chapman
 Posted on: Mar 18 2018, 05:54 PM
Dragonriders
Potter
|
30 posts | 265 marks
written by Wolf

Jana forced herself to smile and returned the woman's wave as she climbed up the bank. "Splash likes people" she said, with a shrug.

At the appearance of the green firelizard, Splash had back-winged a bit away, watching the other firelizard suspiciously. But he returned her cheep with a trill of his own before arrowing back to Jana to land on her shoulder.

"Coward" she muttered to the little lizard with a shake of her head. Splash seemed to always assume the worst of other firelizards. While assuming the best of people. It was very strange sometimes.

She didn't really want to sit down. That would imply she wanted to talk, and talking always seemed to bring up her parents, and then people got all weird at her. But there wasn't really a polite way to refuse, so she sat cross-legged on the grass. "I'm Jana Chapman" she said. "Of the big Chapman clan. This is Splash. We were digging clay for my uncle's workshop, but I thought I'd take a break for a bit."

Ice
PM
^
Lucia Drake
 Posted on: Mar 22 2018, 06:01 PM
Candidates
Sled Pilot
|
10 posts | 115 marks
written by Ice

Jade seemed to relax as the other firelizard backed away, easing her grip on Lucy's shoulder. She had to resist the urge to roll her eyes at the little green. Well, at least Jade wasn't the only shy one this time.

"Well, nice to meet you, Jana," Lucy said, giving her a friendly smile. Something about her surname was familiar; she had definitely heard it somewhere. Lucy wasn't particularly aware of every single family in the colony, but if it was as big as Jana claimed, that would explain why it sounded familiar. As unfortunate as it was, she wouldn't be surprised if she recognized the surname because it had been in the obituaries after the first Threadfall.

That was definitely not a subject to breach—something that most people just didn't seem to get. Lucy had had her fill of sympathizers after her own parents' deaths.

So, she kept the smile on her face, trying to make herself as amiable as possible. "You make pottery? Or is it just for your uncle?" She leaned back, letting herself relax a little more. "I've never been into the arts myself, but I bet it's fun. A good way to occupy yourself."

Wolf
PM
^
Jana Chapman
 Posted on: Apr 23 2018, 07:39 AM
Dragonriders
Potter
|
30 posts | 265 marks
written by Wolf

The moment she sat down, Splash curled himself up in her lap. The little blue seemed to assume that Jana's lap was made specifically for him. Which had, once led to a very amusing fight between him and one of her cousin's cats. Well, it had been amusing at the time, but it had left Splash with an antipathy towards cats that she was still trying to train him out of.

"My uncle mostly works on the big stuff, or fancy special orders. I mostly just throw the day-to-day pots and plates and stuff." She gave a shrug. It was fun sometimes, but mostly it was just a chore like any other. She certainly didn't think of it as being that creative, since it was mostly just making the same thing over and over again. "It's useful," she said finally. "Everyone needs stuff to eat off of, and ceramics clean up better than wood."

She tugged up some of the grass, so like, and yet unlike the grass she remembered from home. This area must not have suffered much Thread if there was still grass. "So what do you do around here?" she asked, hoping to move the conversation off of herself for a while.

Ice
PM
^
Lucia Drake
 Posted on: May 11 2018, 10:44 AM
Candidates
Sled Pilot
|
10 posts | 115 marks
written by Ice

As the other firelizard settled down in Jana's lap, Jade finally let go of Lucy's shoulder and curled up around her neck, shifting into a more comfortable position. Lucy lifted her hand to give the green a gentle scratch behind the headknobs. Jade hummed in contentment. Well, she had calmed down now, and that's all Lucy really cared about.

She nodded thoughtfully. She knew even doing something you loved could become a chore after a while. Making ceramics was no different from piloting a sled, in the grand scheme of things. Both were for very different reasons, but they helped the colony in their own ways. Still, it was good to see a kid doing their part. Everyone on Pern had to work together if they were survive this mess.

"Oh, I'm a sled pilot," she answered, sitting up straighter. "When I first joined the military, I never expected to be fightin' Thread, but it is what it is." While some might talk up their heroics, to make it sound like a grand, epic battle like in some book, Lucy had no desire to do so. People were dying, on the ground and in the air alike. "I have no idea how much longer I'll be flyin', with how little fuel we have these days. I really hope that dragon project works."

Wolf
PM
^
Jana Chapman
 Posted on: May 21 2018, 07:35 AM
Dragonriders
Potter
|
30 posts | 265 marks
written by Wolf

Jana's eyes widened. "A sled pilot? That's super cool. I'd love to do something like that, but I doubt my uncle'd let me. And like you said, the fuel's gonna run out soonish.
But at least for now you're getting to actually do something about Thread! You're not stuck hiding inside doing nothing."
She snapped her mouth shut, realizing she probably seemed like she was just babbling. She dropped her gaze to where Splash was curled up in her lap and stroked his back and neck. It helped her feel a little less self conscious.

It was nice to hear someone sounding at least somewhat positive about the dragon project. It never seemed to be far from Jana's mind these days. Her aunt and uncle didn't approve of the project at all, and her uncle especially complained loudly about it to pretty much anyone who'd listen. But it fascinated Jana. And she wanted to do something against Thread, rather than just hiding all the time.

"Are you going to join the project?" she asked.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Pernese Online A Gift of Dragons RPG-D
Southern Winds Weyr Fortune Favors the Brave